In carrying out these functions and activities, personnel of the unit are guided by the following Road Traffic Rules and Regulations.
The Road Traffic Ordinance (RTO) No. 55152 [Parent Law]
L.I. 952/74 (Amendment)
L.I. 953/74 (Amendment)
L.I. 1643/98 (Amendment as to Punishment etc)
L.I. 1605/98 (Amendment Embossment of Registration Numbers)
Act 553/98 (Amendment Careless/Reckless/Drunk Driving and punishment)
Act 556/98 (Amendment; Roadworthiness Certificate)
L.I. 1663/99 (Amendment; Retesting/Suspension of driving licence)
I./ 1662/99 (Amendment; Traffic Offences
Act 567199 (Road Safety Commission Act)
L.I. 1687/2001 (Amendment to 1643 Vehicle Registration and other fees)
L.I. 1592/94 (Use of Petroleum Gas)
Act 34/2002 (Use of Right-hand steering vehicles) etc.
Together, all these laws, rules and regulations yield over 300 road traffic offences. The most prevalent and recurring offences are:
- Passing through red light
- Driving on the shoulders of the road
- Picking passengers at prohibited areas
- Drunk driving
- Wrongful overtaking
- Failing to regularize vehicle documents such as Insurance, Road -Certificates, driving licence etc.
- Causing road obstruction
- Causing inconvenience to passengers
- Wrongful selection of lane etc.